For 29 years Female Genital Mutilation FGM has been outlawed in Britain, and today marks the announcement of the first case of prosecutions to perpetrators of FGM crime; the charge signals the seriousness and should hinder and prevent anyone wishing to support FGM.
- Prohibition of Female Genital Circumscion Act 1985 of England and Wales
- Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 ( replaces former Act)
- FGM Act 2003 increases maximum penalty from 5-14 years
- Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena 31, of Whittington Hospital faces prosecution April 15th.
- Hasan Mohamed 40, also charged with aiding and abetting a serious crime with Dharmasena.